Magic Tree House book #7: Sunset of the Sabertooth is a favorite! Its nonfiction companion Fact Tracker, Sabertooths and the Ice Age, written by Mary's sister, Natalie Pope Boyce, provides some super-interesting facts just like these:
- Bodies of over 2,500 saber- toothed cats along with many other prehistoric animals have been found preserved in the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles. Many have been there for over 30,000 years.
- The well preserved body of a baby mammoth elephant over 10,000 years old was found beneath the ice in Russia.
- A million years ago much of the earth was covered in ice. This time is called “the Ice Age.”
- There is beautiful cave art from the Ice Age that dates back thousands of years. Most of the pictures are of animals.
- People first came to North America by walking over a land bridge from Siberia to Alaska.
- Saber-toothed cats had fangs nine inches long!